For centuries, the world’s poets, artists and writers have found their muse here among the exquisite Italian lakes of Maggiore, Como, and Orta—a rarified location that melts one’s cares away in the face of staggering beauty.
Embraced by the Alps, fed by glacial waters, dripping with subtropical flora, and sustained with culinary abundance, it’s a sheltered haven that promotes the life of the mind, and body. A week of elegant repose and diversion in Italy’s most romantic setting usually comes with a high price tag. Ours comes at a value that’s nothing short of inspiring.
Walking Tour Only
- 6 nights in elegant 4-star hotels
- 12 meals - 6 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
No Hassle Air Package
- 8 nights in 4-star hotels
- 14 meals — 8 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
- Roundtrip international airfare
- And the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions: Pre-trip: Como
- 2 nights for only: $245, Post-trip: Milan
- 2 nights for only: $295
Both Vacation Options
- Service of two bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
- On-tour vehicle/ferry support
- FREE use of our custom VBT walking poles
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT
- Special Good Buy Discount
- Walk through the
romantic scenery of the Lake district,
smelling gardens and strolling verdant shores.
- Visit sumptuous
villas and gardens that inspired many artists for centuries.
- Enjoy a ride on
a cable car to 3,500 feet, with sweeping views of Lake
- Sample Piedmont wines in the shop and cellar of a characteristic
- Learn about
Saint Julius who brought Christianity to Orta, during a visit to the fourth-century
basilica on the little island
of San Giulio.
- Emerge in the
mystical atmosphere of Monte Sacro as you ascend to this monastic complex, a UNESCO
World Heritage Site.
- Picnic in the
shade of softwoods after a scenic descent from 3,500 feet.
- Dine on the tiny
Isola dei Pescatori, or fisherman island, at sunset on the romantic lake shore.
What to Expect
This tour features a combination of easy terrain and paved
roads mixed with some very short hills. Walks are in open countryside and small
cities, sometimes on uneven footpaths over grass and soil pathways and cobbled
streets. It is ideal for enthusiastic beginners and experienced walkers. It is
always very important to wear appropriate shoes with excellent tread to ensure
the perfect grip on uneven and rocky terrain. We plan both longer optional
walks and short easy options for those who want to spend more time on their own
exploring the cities and surroundings. Be prepared to use ferry and motorboats
extensively for our transfers. Both morning and afternoon or evening options
are available every day.
- Activity Level: Easy
- Daily Mileage: 2 - 5 miles
- Average Walking Time: 1 - 3 hours
*Please note: Be prepared to
make transfers by ferry and motorboat. Any luggage will be transferred by