VBT's Special Culinary Vacations 2015
We have made cuisine the cornerstone of special culinary departures that feature enhanced culinary events, including cooking classes, food and wine tastings, market excursions, conversations with chefs, and more.
Pompeii • Sorrento • Lattari Mountains • Capri • Ravello • Amalfi • Agerola • Positano
In a country of extraordinary beauty, no landscape is more thrilling or serene than the Amalfi Coast, where towering limestone cliffs stand against an endless turquoise ocean and an endless azure sky. Pastel-washed villages are sculpted into hillsides. The air is filled with the scent of lemon groves. Cascading flower gardens spill their bounty at every turn. On VBT’s most popular walking vacation, together we’ll braid fresh mozzarella, explore the ruins of Pompeii, and walk paths that delight and inspire on the lush isle of Capri, the forested Lattari Mountains, and the breathtaking terraced perches of Ravello.
- Enjoy a visit to a gelato workshop in Sorrento. Learn how to make an Italian gelato and enjoy a generous tasting
- Learn the recipe of the best Limoncello…and also Melon-cello, Chocolate-cello and more
- Prepare your own wood-fired pizza with chef Michele at his pizza restaurant
- Visit and shop at a local bakery in Bomerano and buy the different types of bread for your picnic lunch
- Visit a typical local ‘orto’ (vegetable garden) and then enjoy the crispy organic vegetables for lunch
Seville • Palma del Rio • Cordoba • Wine Road • Zuheros • Granada
From its pueblo blancos to its rugged cordilleras, southern Spain reveals itself best at eye level—the vantage point of every VBT vacation. We’ll ride into the heart of Andalusia through its vinecovered hills and past its Moorish bastions. We’ll spend leisurely lunches with local hosts, delight our palates with wine and olive oil tastings, and learn the secrets to preparing a regional specialty. In Cordoba and Granada, we’ll visit exquisite cathedrals, mosques, and synagogues—evidence of the area’s deep-rooted multicultural identity. Each night our accommodations will reflect our surroundings, and every day will bring us closer to authentic Andalusia.
- Learn the ancient methods of curing and thinly slicing the world renowned regional cured ham - Jamon Iberico
- Enjoy an evening walking tour of Cordoba visiting various restaurants while sampling traditional tapas
- Learn the Andalusia secrets to making the perfect gazpacho
- Meander through a typical Spanish market with a local chef
Lyon • Tournus • Beaune • Dijon • Paris
In storied Burgundy, pleasures are meant to be savored slowly – and that’s exactly what this delightful bicycling vacation was designed to do. We’ll spend time in Lyon, a gastronomic mecca, then set off for Dijon, which has attracted musicians, artists
and writers for centuries. Along the way, we’ll cycle through some of the most famous vineyards in the world … roll along the pleasant Route des Jardins (Garden Route) … join in a popular local pastime at a family home … and taste the region’s
famous wine. Only VBT gives you the time you need to drink it all in!
- Taste a selection of Burgundy's acclaimed wines at 2 different local cellars
- Enjoy a true authentic Burgundian menu with dinner at a local restaurant
- Experience a “French workers” mid-morning snack
- Enjoy an included tasting of the local specialties of mustard and delicious gingerbread
Hanoi • Hue • Hai Van Pass • Hoi An • Saigon • Mekong Delta • Cu Chi
By bike, boat and rickshaw,Vietnam will bewitch you during this unforgettable Far East adventure. We’ll travel north to south, beginning in historic Hanoi and finishing in dazzling Saigon. In between, we’ll explore the onceforbidden Purple City, wind through the subterranean maze of the Cu Chi tunnels and savor Vietnam’s delicate cuisine. With the help of our local Trip Leaders, we’ll mingle with rural fishermen, visit a village market, and trade greetings at a local orphanage. A myriad of wonders—both natural and man-made—await us at every turn of this VBT vacation to one of the world’s most alluring places.
- Explore Hanoi’s 19th-century Dong Xuan market, which is full of foodstuffs that will tantalize, intrigue, and even startle you!
- Visit one of Hoi An’s most popular restaurants, Dao Tien, where Vietnamese chefs present a private cooking class
- Discover the vibrant, everyday cooking traditions of the Mekong Delta as we tour My Tho market
- Prepare some tasty treats at a private cooking class at Saigon Cookery Art
- Participate in a tea ceremony and conversation with the monks at Thien Mu Pagoda